1 1 Sawtooth and the petticoats: What to do with Rhubarb, or, My sink overfloweth

Thursday, August 12, 2010

What to do with Rhubarb, or, My sink overfloweth


Last week I was at my local fruit stand and saw an employee sorting through the rhubarb. She turned to a colleague and said "It's all bad. It all has to go." Now, something you need to know about me: I love free stuff. The rhubarb looked all right to me, so I said to her in my saddest-sounding voice, "You're throwing all of that away?" And just like I hoped, she offered it to me. For free. The photo above has the cantaloupe for comparison purposes.

I wish I would have weighed the box. I think it was between 30 and 40 pounds. The ends were a tiny bit slimy, and maybe three stalks were getting soft, but the rest was great. I washed it, chopped it up, and froze it in zippy bags in 10 cup quantities. That was 50 cups worth of rhubarb, and I still had one-third of that box there. 

So what did I do with the rest? I'll let you know in future posts, but here's a hint: chutney. And jam. And cake. And crisp. And if you want some rhubarb, we actually have a bunch growing in our front yard we'd be happy to share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment